Exhibits Collection Photos Contributions Events Members Area Store Visitor Info Links
Home > Collection
UC-45J Cockpit Display
Young and old alike can enjoy sitting in either of the seats in the actual cockpit and working the control wheel, rudder pedals and engine controls. The imagination or memory then takes over and most flights end with a smile.
The UC-45J cockpit was generously donated to the Staggerwing Foundation by Mr. & Mrs. David Warren of Southwestern Aero Exchange, Owasso, OK in 1994. Bill McClure then took on the job of Chairman of the Cockpit Restoration Project and provided leadership, time and financial support. Help came from the EAA Chapter, Mufreesboro, TN to transport the UC-45J cockpit from Owasso, OK to Tullahoma, the Aerospace Department at Middle Tennessee State University to provide a work area and from MTSU Instructor Terry Dorris for his advice. MTSU student, Eric Niehoff, did a good deal of the assembly work while instruments and parts were donated by Tony Barnum, Jim Gorman and Dick Wixom.
The cockpit and aircraft were originally built by Beech Aircraft Corporation as a JRB-4 utility transport for the U.S. Navy, in January 1945, as BuA#44580, Beech c/n 8142. In June 1951 it was remanufactured by Beech for the Navy and delivered as a SNB-5 crew trainer. It was redesignated UC-45J in 1962 and in 1969 donated to Danville Jr. College, Danville, IL registered as N20003. However, it sat in a farm field in West Alexandria, OH until 1989 when Art Parks bought it and trucked it to Cincinnati, OH. David Warren then obtained it in May 1991 and hauled it to Owasso, OK.
 



 
Staggerwing Museum
P.O. Box 550 - Tullahoma, TN 37388
P:(931)455-1974 - F:(931)455-1994
museuminfo@staggerwing.com
 
• • © 2005 Staggerwing Museum All Rights Reserved• •
Please send Questions/Comments to web-master@staggerwing.com