Exhibits Collection Photos Contributions Events Members Area Store Visitor Info Links
Home > Collection
Parish Twin Beech
The Beech D18S Model was the first post-war aircraft to be approved by the U.S. Civil Aeronautics Administration. Despite competition from hundreds of surplus military transports and trainers at a fraction of the $60,000.00 cost of a D18S, the new models began rolling off the Beech production line in December 1945 and became the foundation on which American business flying was built.

Numerous important improvements boosted performance over prewar and wartime production 18’s and by 1957 when production finally ended, 1003 D18S’s had been built. Except for the 280 sold to the Royal Canadian Air Force, almost all of the new D18S’s went to corporate owners, however, by the late 1950’s and 1960’s many were being utilized as passenger and freight carriers.

This aircraft was delivered to Beech dealer, Alamo Aviation Inc., San Antonio, TX as N2049D. The basic price including Hydromatic propellers was $78,050.00 although options were extra. It was re-registered as N4477 by 1961 and John L. Parish of Tullahoma, TN bought it in 1974. He is a Life Member of the Twin Beech 18 Society and has loaned his airworthy, 7 seat, D18S to the Museum.
 
Additional Photos
Additional Information
  Model: D18S
c/n: A-935, mfg Dec. 17, 1952
Number Built: 1,003
Gross Weight (lbs): 8,750
Empty Weight (lbs): 5,500
Wingspan (ft): 47’ 8”
Length (ft): 34’ 3”
Engine: P&W R-985-AN-14B “Wasp Jr.”
Total Time (Hours): 3,500

Model D18S Specifications
Type Certificate: A-765, issued Apr. 26, 1946
Registration: N4477
Selling Price: $78,050.00
Cruise Speed (mph): 200
Landing Speed (mph): 65
Range (mi): 1,000
Output (hp): 450
 
 



 
Staggerwing Museum
P.O. Box 550 - Tullahoma, TN 37388
P:(931)455-1974 - F:(931)455-1994
museuminfo@staggerwing.com
 
• • © 2005 Staggerwing Museum All Rights Reserved• •
Please send Questions/Comments to web-master@staggerwing.com